Château Mauvesin was originally built as a real fort with towers, machicolations and arrow slits. The estate was first acquired by Jean de Foix Grailly in 1457. At the end of the fifteenth century it became the property of the Rivière family and was to remain so for many years. During the French Revolution of 1789, the domaine was seized and became National Property. It was only in 1792 that it was sold to Luc Clarcke de Dromantin, a lawyer who was in fact purchasing on behalf of the Le Blanc de Mauvesin family. In 1853, the last Marquis of Mauvesin, Lodoïs Le Blanc de Mauvesin, commissioned the construction of the Château as we know it today.